Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 Lenten Season

Happy Easter everyone!

The Lenten Season is over however, the memories I had with this very memorable and solemn occasion for Christians will forever be treasured.  I had so many FIRSTS with this season.

It was my very first time to join in the Pabasa or Pasyon.  Being members of the church choir, we were always at the Pabasa to take charge of the singing if the detailed soldiers cannot sing and worst if they cannot come during their duty.  At first, I was hesitant to sing for I do not know the tune. But as minutes passes by, I was already attuned to the singing of the group, each has his own microphone.  I learned that the pabasa depicts the life and struggles of our Lord Jesus Christ.

During the Holy Wednesday, Father Bong Villanueva led the Recollection of the soldiers.  He really had the nicest topics about Nature and Grace I've ever heard for recollection where in fact, I was not able to control the tears in my eyes. 

A mass was conducted during Maunday Thursday and I had my first time to sing Tantum Ergo, a latin song and was surprised I sang it alone!  After the mass, a ceremonial Last Supper was held at the Multipurpose Hall then it was followed by the Easter Vigil.  Again, I had my very first time to read the Devotion to the Holy Sacrament in Capampangan.  My tongue twisted many times because I am not a Capampangan, Visayan language is very far from it.  According to my friends, I read it fluently but for me, it was not as I wanted to be and I read it without comprehension!  OMG forgive me Lord, I only understand a few words, but if it was in English, I should have comprehended it well.

As far as I could remember, during Good Fridays in Leyte, we go to church at 12noon for the Siete Palabras or the Seven Last Words where there is reenactment of the death of Jesus.  When I became a soldier, I wasn't able to see it again however, my Good Friday was good. I joined with the other devotees in the Station of the Cross inside camp and again it was my first time to attend.  Despite of the scorching heat of the sun, all were able to finish the stations.

During Sabado Gloria, my group was tasked to decorate the chapel.  Flower arrangements are not into my talent so my task was to remind the group of the time so everyone can finish what they were doing by 6:30P.M. and still have enough time to prepare for the Blessing of the Fire and the Easter Vigil Mass at 8:00P.M..  The following day was Easter Sunday, as early as 6:00A.M., I was already at the church to see the preparation of the audio system for the choir.  The mass started at 7:00A.M. followed by the traditional Easter Egg Hunting and snacks provided by the Armor Ladies and Ma'am Olive Luces.

Although I did not have time to rest during my two days and 18 hours lenten break, I can say that it was a very meaningful one.  I had so many FIRSTS during lent that will forever be engraved in my heart not as soldier but as a child of God who reaps the sacrifices and struggles he has made.

Praise to You Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment